The first edition was attended by at least 50 participants, among them, 33 invited speakers. Some of those speakers were professors of Seville University, Spain, who, in that moment, made their first visit to Brazilian Amazonian region. It was the first contact between mathematicians of the PDE groups of UFPA and Seville University. The years that followed, disclosed the beginning of a prolific scientific collaboration activity.
It is interesting to observe how the organization of that event generates a chain of positive consequences which had direct and decisive influence in the development of the Postgraduate Program in Mathematics of UFPA along of the next years and would ultimately contributing to some extent in the emergence of the Doctorate Program in Mathematics in wide association UFPA/UFAM. Indeed, the data below confirm our previous claim:
Teaching staff of PPGM/UFPA which carried out Postdoctoral research at Seville University during the years following the organization of the congress.
(1) Prof. Cristina Lúcia Dias Vaz – 2006/2007.
(2) Prof. Francisco Júlio Sobreira de Araújo Corrêa – 2009.
(3) Prof. Geraldo Mendes de Araújo – 2012/2013.
(4) Prof. Giovany de Jesus Malcher Figueiredo – 2012/2013.
(5) Prof. João Pablo Pinheiro da Silva – 2014/2015.
(6) Prof. João Rodrigues dos Santos Júnior – 2017/2018.
Students of PPGM/UFPA which carried out part of their doctorate course at Seville University
(1) João Rodrigues dos Santos Júnior – 2012/2013.
(2) Willian Cintra da Silva – 2015/2016.
(3) Italo Bruno Mendes Duarte – 2015/2016.
(4) Mirelson Martins Freitas – 2015/2016.
Number of scientific articles accepted/published in international journals
Despite the heritage left behind by I IMDE, due to many reasons the second edition it was never realized. Taking into account the exchange already started between professors and students of PPGM/UFPA and professors of Seville University, the II IMDE was thought does not only as an attempt to strengthen the research links between these two institutions, but mainly, to extend the successful model of collaboration in order to include researchers of other institutions of Brazilian Amazonian region and Spanish Andalusian region.
In this way, underpinned by good scientific performance indicators that followed the organization of the I IMDE in 2006, the second edition of the IMDE has as its theme: “Conference Amazon-Andalusia on Partial Differential Equations”. Some novelties of the present edition are the following ones:
1) It is not an event exclusively organized by research groups in mathematics of UFPA, but also by research groups of UFAM, Seville and Granada Universities;
2) The event aims to expand the existent links between the research groups on PDEs of UFPA and Seville University in order to include other groups in their respective regions. We hope that the II IMDE shortens the distance between the South of Spain and the North of Brazil. The “II IMDE: Conference Amazon-Andalusia on PDEs” will be held in Belém, Brazil, from 10 to 13 June, 2019.